Wednesday 3 March 2010

What do i really make of France?!

I am aware that it has been a long time since my last post, for that i apologise! But i must say i have been having a wonderful time in France.

Just the other day i was having an insightful conversation with my friend Michael, over breakfast on his balcony in Avignon. (who says life as an assistant is hard eh!) We were contemplating the 'what if's'. What if we had stayed on at uni for 3rd year? what if we had never came to France? What if we had never met those people? And i must admit, i was shocked by the answers...

I had once considered not coming to France for the year abroad, a mixture of fear of the unknown and being away from the known, and i was thoroughly terrified of what lay ahead. However, i have since realised that it was definitely one of the best decisions i have made in my short life to date! I can't imagine my life at the moment without my Bordolaise life and those amazing people in it. Whilst almost every day i spend a fraction of my time thinking about home and what would have been had i stayed at home, i now realise that my time here in France has only helped me towards becoming the person that i want to be in life. Someone that is not afraid to make mistakes, (and believe me i have made a lot since my time here) but is learning from each mistake made and taking that next step towards become that adult that everyone encourages you to be! Being in France has also made me realise how much i do love the French language, and that it does play a very big role in my life and i would very much like it to continue like that. I often wonder what i would be doing or what my life would be like had i not continued with my interest for the language...less stressful i would imagine!! I jest! But in answer to all of the questions asked on that balcony in Avignon i would have to say that i have no regrets, and i think the most important question is, 'what if i had never came to France?'! I would never have encountered all of the wonderful people that i have done on my travels and in Bordeaux, i would never have experienced the French culture first hand, i would never have partied with Frenchies all night long, i would never have achieved the level of French that i have at the moment, i would never have experienced the French education system! But more importantly i would never have been able to have as much confidence in myself as i do now. I know that i am capable of so much more than i once thought, i just needed to prove it to myself. And for that i definitely have France to thank!

So for that France, i will be eternally grateful!

Until next time y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment